Friday, January 1, 2010

New Years






My friends John and Laken came to visit from South Carolina. Wonderful people, we had such a great time! I made the traditional ham, greens, black eyed peas dinner. When I was growing up my grandmother always used to put dimes in the bottom of this GIANT pot of black eyed peas. If you got one of them in the bottom of your bowl, you were supposed to have good luck all year. Sometimes I feel like people follow traditions but they never really understand why. I did some research on the traditions of New Years Day.

Black eyed Peas-The practice of eating black-eyed peas for luck is generally believed to date back to the Civil War. At first planted as food for livestock, and later a food staple for slaves in the South, the fields of black-eyed peas were ignored as Sherman's troops destroyed or stole other crops, thereby giving the humble, but nourishing, black-eyed pea an important role as a major food source for surviving Confederates. (from about.com)

Served with greens (collards, mustard or turnip greens, which varies regionally), the peas represent coins and the greens represent paper money.

Why ham? Pigs are the only animal that always root forward. This is supposed to symbolize the moving forward in the new year.

So, there's a little bit about traditions for ya.

Grandma, if you were watching me, I think I did a pretty decent job. :) We miss you. Not a day passes that I don't think of you and the things you taught me, just by being a part of my life.

Happy 2010 everyone!

btw, the first photo of Kris was taken by John Gaulden, artist, friend, photographer and amazing soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment