Monday, January 11, 2010

The Hippo in Baltimore-Drag Show




















This weekend, I went to a drag show in honor of Sue Nami (one of the queens) it was quite awesome. I met lots of wonderful people, and had lots of fun with David and Garin.

People might ridicule or not agree with the lifestyle of these amazing men, but to me, it was beautiful. Anyone with that much confidence, creativity, and courage, is GREAT by my standards!

Keep in mind, most of the costumes are handmade, one of the wigs is actually three wigs sewn together, and I overhead many fun comments, one of which was "I'm wearing six pair of pantyhose" now, that's commitment! I'm lucky to make it through the day with one pair on!

Sabrina White, Jasmine, Ava Couture, Sue Nami, Chi Chi, Phoenix, and everyone else you are amazing! Thanks for allowing me to photograph you and allowing me the access. Please email me for upcoming shows, I'll be glad to come out and photograph more.

My response to the photoshoot: WoW! These ladies are great! Some weren't too fond of me photographing them unless they were ready for the stage, which is understandable, but I was there to document the entirety and the hard work that goes into this. And they take pride in that, so I respected them. Sabrina, you're awesome. You allowed photographs whenever, and came out to take your final bow as a man, just to show the world you are beautiful either way.

Your insider info?: These are men, they get on stage and lip-sync to music while dancing, they go out into the crowd, get tips, sometimes shooters as tips, and then they run downstairs to the dressing room to completely transform into someone else and come back out again. Some do up to 3 songs a night, some work with choreographers to get their dances down. There are competitions across the region, state, and even the USA. It's a competitive event, and taken very seriously.

1 comment:

  1. i enjoy the shadows and i really like the texture and composition of the one that is mostly hair. great work!

    ReplyDelete