Sunday, March 11, 2012

"There goes my life ...."




When I was working in the restaurant industry I had a boss that no one liked that well. I mean, he had to run a tight ship and get everyone to run a fast-paced restaurant without too many people crying or fighting or having any kind of drama.. Well, there were a lot of times when he and I were in the office, sweating from the poor circulation of the room, counting thousands of dollars in cash, making the numbers add up....running numbers of food versus wine and liquor sales and food costs...over and over every night that's where we were... i would add up all the numbers from the servers and get everything ready for the following day... boring stuff, but has to be done. Sometimes, if it were a good night, we would sing and laugh and carry on and other times there were nights where we'd hardly say anything. But, Being in those close quarters working with someone you tend to have a pretty good relationship with one another otherwise you'd never make it. I looked up to him a lot for his accomplishments. Barely in his 30's he was running a really successful restaurant and did a damn good job. Well, I remember one conversation, among many that we had. I had just broken up with a guy I was with and I was feeling pretty rough about it. He could tell and just touched my shoulder and said.. "You'll be okay...whatever you do, stay away from tv, radio, etc. because it will only make you cry more."

Well, I thought about that today as I watched my husband's ship cross the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel. It was cool and the wind was fierce and I watched people with "Don't Tread on me" flags and American flags and others with balloons... This is the second to last time that ship will cross the tunnel... on the way home it will be the last. As I'm watching all these people squinting at this massive ship going by from the sunlight hitting their eyes... I was reminded of a country song by Kenny Chesney called "There goes my life" It's a super heart-wrenching song about a guy who finds out he will be a daddy and then it changes his life. His initial response was his life was over, but then as time went on, he realized that that IS his life.....

This is how I view deployment.. Kris leaving isn't ending my life... yes, a piece of my heart is sailing around in the ocean somewhere right now, but life isn't over because he is gone. This IS my life. We chose it, this is what Navy and all military families do. So, I'm not up for sitting home and crying and being upset because "My life is in ....blah blah blah" mantras. No, that's not the way you should be viewing it people... c'mon, it's not like you woke up and your husband left you forever... you're a military family... and no, don't get over it, just through it..

So, I think back to what my old manager said.. yes, staying away from movies and tv and radio will do you a lot of good when you're feeling down, he was so right... chose your own music, make it happy and upbeat and if you have a dog or friend or, in my case, a toddler, sitting around, get up and dance with them. make a fool of yourself because life is too short!

So, "there goes my life" I will turn into "there goes a piece of my heart, but he will be back and our house will be a home again"

http://www.elyrics.net/read/k/kenny-chesney-lyrics/there-goes-my-life-lyrics.html"
there's the lyrics if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment