Sunday, May 9, 2010

Mother's Day. Mom. Grandma. Love.


first phase of my dandelion gum bichromate reproduction, will post finished product soon.

since my mom lives in GA, I wasn't able to actually be with her for Mother's day, but I did drive a lot this weekend and it's when I drive that i really begin to think about different things, and when I began this blog, i did a similar thing with song lyrics, my first blog post was a long one. I've been told that others like how straight to the point my blog is, I mean, after all, it's about photography, not my daily thoughts. But oftentimes they're one in the same.

So, for mother's day, I will ponder the thoughts that i thought. Mostly, about mothers day. No worries, I didn't write these while I was driving this time. :) some people text, my one friend actually drums with drumsticks, but I sing, write, and catch up on daily events with my mom.

i grew up and lived with my mom for the first 12 years of my life. at that point in time, i began(as most girls do) to stay as far away as I could from her, but she never gave up. never. called me hundreds of times, leaving voicemails, some harsh, some sweet trying to convince me to just call her. tears occurred lots, harsh words were exchanged often. it's really quite interesting how we ended up becoming as close as we are today. i'm not entirely sure what happened. i moved to GA to be closer to her, but even then i really didnt talk to her near as much as i do now. i'm not sure if it was a light switch that clicked or not, but suddenly we have become close. my mom being a single mother raising two kids, goign to school, working full time, and attempting to try to find the "man of her dreams" was stretched too thin and somehow i guess i thought it'd be easier if i was gone, one less thing to worry about right? nope, thats completely wrong. so, today i really am proud of the fact that there is no drama, no screams, no tears, and certainly no times where i throw things (among tantrums) trying to get my way. she is constantly there to console me through this first year of married military life and help me realize it's okay to be alone, even if it's not the healthiest thing in the world. anything from cooking, cleaning, even broken down cars (which i seem to have a lot of bad luck in) mom was there, trying to make me laugh, when i wanted to cry the most. teaching me how to drive and laughing because i slammed on the breaks to avoid hitting a butterfly that crossed my path. every halloween my mom was a witch, and she made a good one too...no pun intended. she would help us pick out and handmade our costumes for any event, prom dresses, no problem for this woman. she ceases to amaze me with the talent of being able to fold a fitted sheet into a perfect square. now that we live so far, we dont see each other much, but when we do, we value it with miles and miles of walking, lots of wine and good food, and laughing until tears fall down our faces. shes a great grandmother to her two grandchildren and even remembers the dogs on special occasions. its really the small things that are important in life... and if i've learned anything from my mom, this is it.


one small thing more, before i end. when i was 15 my grandmother passed away. she had the kindest soul i have ever known. it is because of her i learned patience, pride and to listen. it didnt matter what i wanted to talk about, she was there. definition of grandmother: Mable Estelle Jeffcoat. today in the car, Zac and i spoke about the people we wished we could meet in the afterlife or heaven, or wherever we go. Grandma, I'm being as good as i can for the rest of my life because i'm coming to give you a big hug, i miss you.

Happy Mother's Day 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment