Monday, February 22, 2010

Navy Memorial





So, apparently there are like 10 different Lone Sailor Statues. While living in Charleston, I actually went out and painted a painting of one of them, which was in the Charleston area close to where Kris lived. After the painting, I decided to go to try to figure out where and why this statue was created. Well, this past weekend, I was able to see the real thing.. he lives right aroudn the corner from me, on Pennsylvania avenue. Stanley Bliefield also created the Homecoming, which is a bronze statue that is of a sailor hugging his wife and child. Both of the originals are in DC. Both of which have copies in Charleston, which I found quite ironic. The bronze for the sculpture was mixed with artifacts of 8 different ships. So, here's some shots I took of a few of the memorials at the Navy Memorial Museum, which, by the way, isn't that great. Supposedly there is a better museum over in the Navy Yard, so maybe one day I will be able to go over there and check it out :) I hope so!

Thanks our wonderful Sailors for working their hands to the bones everyday for our country.

No comments:

Post a Comment