Monday, August 30, 2010






Still life photography is a demanding art, one in which the photographers are expected to be able to form their work with a refined sense of lighting, coupled with compositional skills. The still life photographer makes pictures rather than takes them. Knowing where to look for propping and surfaces also is a required skill. This definition taken from wikipedia...

Apparently, I just don't have the ability to create something completely from scratch. I see it as too easy almost. I like the challenge of being forced into using a certain area, location, person or lighting situation. I guess this is why I tend to prefer to use locations better than studio and random people instead of models. I like the challenge of it I guess. Well, anyhow, here's a few still life objects.

I've taken a liking to things found in my Dad's house. Since I'm staying here a few months and don't know after that how often I will get to come back and take the time to wander around in the basement, garage and even just the yard. It's nice to look at different objects and imagine the life they had.

This gun was a present from my stepmother to my father. I find it's importance in the fact that it's meant for duck hunting, but it's so pretty and nice, and he would kill me if he knew I had laid it in the grass (but, I cleaned it off really well :) )

This gumball machine takes pennies... I used to love this thing. It has so many memories (including some gum that is probably antique by now) i also remember my step-sister busting it open and stealing pennies to buy cigarettes down at the soda pop shop, pretty much everything to me has more than one memory.

The record player, still works!! It downright scared me! I moved the plate to dust it off a bit, and it start spinning and playing Jesus Christ Superstar (which happened to be the first record I grabbed, no meaning, just was there) This came from my grandmother's house... I enjoy all memories of her, she is greatly missed. Did some research and found out that this record player was designed in 1911... so, it's over 100 years old.

The globe came from my dad and stepmom's journey across country. they had a flat tire, a sick dog and absolutely no room left in the vehicle, but since my step mom had to have this thing, they bought it and were forced to buy one of those trailer hitch attachments... including another wood carving that they bought. maybe i'll photograph the wood carving soon too. I photographed this globe, but really need more lights to get the details... but, nonetheless, it's the items that are of interest to me.

So, even though the photography is Meh! I enjoy all of these still lifes, and I might put together a little collection of things from my dads basement and things from my grandmother's house.

No comments:

Post a Comment