Monday, January 2, 2012

Happy New Year


We welcomed 2012 by sleeping... but, Kris got to come home early so that was nice, got a 2012 kiss at like 1 am. But, all in all, we had a great day together. I made my annual New Years Day dinner, as usual, of Collards, Ham, Black Eyed Peas, etc. to honor my Grandmother and her Southern Traditions. We just did it a day after everyone else. Which, as many military families are familiar with, you have to do at pretty much every holiday unless you're really lucky. Birthdays and Christmas and yes, even New Years, has to be celebrated whenever you're together because, let's face it, a celebration just isn't right when you're missing someone you love. I've been pretty familiar with this concept all of my life. With divorced parents and my grandmother and my godmothers, it has always been that you celebrate when you're together.... and, I LOVE this about my family. "Hey, you're home....let's have dinner" and yeah, it may only be a "bucket of chicken" or a spaghetti dinner and it may be an all out seafood feast or sushi, but, dinner has ALWAYS and will always be a gathering. No matter how many people you can gather together around the table, you squeeze in, touching elbows and laugh and talk and eat. This.... is family. Whether you are blood or just met or known each other your entire life, family is important.

This year I added another Southern favorite to our dinner.. Red Velvet Cake, but I made a twist and made... Red Velvet Cake Whoopie Pies. :) YUM! They're not the best to look at, but they're tasty! :)

Hope everyone is having a great New Year. Although with this new year brings another deployment, we are welcoming another year closer to retirement too. positive positive... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment